I have many things running through my mind today. I guess I’ll tackle a few. Please bear in mind that none of these things is related.
- I understand totally why poor people are overweight. I thought I would try a tip I read from a nutritionist this week and buy only foods whose ingredients can be found in nature. What I found was that to do this I had to stay in the produce/meat department. This is ridiculously expensive. You know what people in my income bracket eat? Ramen, spaghetti, etc. It is whatever is cheap and can feed a crowd. These things have TONS of things in them that I can’t even pronounce. I don’t mind them of course…they are tasty, but NOT on the approved nutritionist list. Oh, and just because it says “organic” or “low cal” does NOT mean they are okay to eat. I give up. Give me a box of Krispy Kreme’s and some ho-hos and let me be fat and happy.
- Greed is ruining this world. If you look at most of the bad things that happen, greed is behind it. It comes from the belief of people that they are entitled to more than they work for and that they are the center of the universe. Why do people cheat on their taxes or in their business dealings or in their relationships? It is the inherent belief that they are entitled to more or better than what they have. People aren’t ever just happy with what they have any more. They are always looking for the bigger, better deal. Chill out, folks. Sit back and take a look at what is right in front of you and thank the good Lord that you have been allowed to be so fortunate when so many others have nothing at all.
- I’m tired of being broke. Granted, I’m broke for good reasons. No gambling problems or whatnot…it’s just harder to make ends meet these days. I should also clarify that I’m not destitute. There just isn’t anything much extra. It’s frustrating. I know people who never have two cents to rub together who always manage to take some elaborate vacation every year. We do well to get to leave town every 3-5 years. Yes, we made the choice to put our daughter in Christian school and that costs more. It’s a decision I don’t regret for a second. Still, I admit, when I see other people’s vacation photos I get just the teensiest bit envious. I’m happy for them, don’t get me wrong…I just wish I could maybe fit in the trunk of their car and then just live on the beach for a few days. That’s all. :o) God has always given us what we need, please don’t think I’m complaining.
- Getting older sucks. You feel every bad decision you have ever made. You try to run and your knees make sounds like firecrackers going off (that was all the badminton I played). You walk into a room to do something and you have to retrace your steps to try and remember what that was (maybe I shouldn’t have had all that tequila in my 20s). You try to put on your clothes from last winter only to find out that your closet shrunk them (okay, so making that Dutch Butter Cake and eating it myself wasn’t the BEST idea). The nerve! It isn’t for the faint of heart, kids…enjoy your youth.
- I’m tired of people who have no faith making fun of those of us who do. I don’t make fun of atheists. I don’t agree with them, but I don’t treat them like they are stupid because they are missing the obvious. I also don’t expect them to believe how I do. It would be nice, and it is the goal of every Christian to lead as many as possible to the good news of Jesus, but if they don’t change their minds I am not going to treat them any differently. I can still care about someone who doesn’t have the same faith as me. Time and time again though lately I’m reading things from people making anyone who believes in a higher power to be stupid and gullible and having “drank the Kool-Aide.” It takes way more faith to believe in something you can’t necessarily see than to just not believe in anything at all. Especially when the evidence is all around us. The divine design of things. How can you look at even something as simple as a sunset and not believe in a creator?
- Finally, kids, pay attention to what your parents tell you. They aren’t just running their mouths to be irritating. They have been around a while and know a bit more about life than you do. If you just listen you will save yourselves a lot of heart-ache. Things like “take a shower before you start to grow things” and “eat your green vegetables if you want to be strong and healthy” aren’t just things a mom says to be mean. It is backed up by science. Yeah, I said science! I’m just sayin…